Dennis Port, MA — The merchants of downtown Dennis Port , many of whom are newly opened, are teaming up to present the inaugural Dennis Port Halloween Block Party. A dozen Main Street retailers will offer Trick-or-Treating and a range of holiday activities for children, adults and dogs throughout the day on Saturday, October 26th. Activities range from bocce lessons to a Haunted Hound Walk for pooches, and nearly all are free.
This comes on the heels of a recent revitalization of downtown Dennis Port. In just the past thirteen months, seven new retailers have opened their doors, once again putting Dennis Port on the map as a charming downtown destination for dining, shopping and entertainment. The Block Party is a result of a collaboration between the local business owners in an effort to introduce the new Dennis Port to those who haven’t visited lately.
“The Dennis Port Revitalization Committee is thrilled to share in the new excitement and collaboration among the new and established businesses of downtown DP. The best is yet to come,” said Donald Robitaille, Chair of the Dennis Port Revitalization Committee.
Activities take place from at 11 AM – 6 PM. The full line-up is listed below. All events are free unless otherwise noted.
- Trick or Treating for kids and dogs in costume from 2-6 PM at any merchant with orange and black balloons outside.
- Pumpkin Painting at Sodium from 11 AM – 4 PM. Kids and adults can unleash their Halloween creative spirit!
- Auntie’s Ice Cream will host games, contests, caramel apple making, rubber band bracelet crafting, hot dogs, treats and spooky story telling with Auntie Donna ($5 for everything). Phyllis Horton and Burt Derek, local historians and authors of the Gazetteer of Dennis, will sign books from 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM. The book includes fun facts and trivia about the town.
- A Haunted Hounds Block Walk (costumes encouraged) for people and their dogs beginning at The Village Green behind Hot Diggity Dog Wash & Boutique at 1 PM. Prizes will be awarded to the top doggie costumes. The parade will be led by a Fiddle Ensemble from West Bend Music.
- Free Halloween temporary tattoos for dogs at Hot Diggity Dog Wash & Boutique
- Complimentary Halloween treats for anyone wearing a costume at Buckies Biscotti
- Face painting by local artist and muralist Hans de Castellane at Castellane Gallery. The gallery will also showcase a special exhibition of its students works (ages 8-12) from 2-4 PM.
- Greg Mentzer Studios will be raffling off a free photo shoot valued at $99. All are invited to stop by and enter their names.
- Performances by students of West Bend Music throughout the day at West Bend and several of the Main Street merchants.
- Free samples of the Dennis Port General Store’s Outrageous Pumpkin Dip and other specialties. The store will also welcome Author Katie O’Sullivan for a signing of her book Son of a Mermaid.
- Bocce lessons and games on the Village Green hosted by the Dennis Port Revitalization Committee
- Live yoga demonstrations, light refreshments and free chair massages at Power Yoga Of Cape Cod
- The Dennis Port Natural Market will offer free samples of non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) products and literature. They will also donate 10% of sales that day to the Non-GMO project.
- Porter & Mags Home Furnishing and Design Studio will feature (weather permitting) a sidewalk sale and live music by jazz pianist Zack Cross. They will also raffle off a beautiful basket full of goodies collected from all of the neighboring businesses.
“Hot Diggity has had great success with our Halloween Parade in Mashpee Commons and we are really excited to bring this fun, light-hearted event to Dennis Port,” said Nicole Merriman, Owner of Hot Diggity Dog Wash & Boutique. “We hope people will come out and see the transformation that is happening in Dennis Port. We have a fabulous group of new young merchants who are bringing a vibrant energy to a town that has the makings to be one of the best little Main Streets on Cape Cod.”
Added Monica Rizzio of West Bend Music: “West Bend Music is thrilled to be in Dennis Port and is excited to bring a community of people together on Cape Cod for our ﬁrst fall event. We are thrilled to be part of the new change happening and will make every effort to continue to support the amazing things happening right in our backyard. “
“Enthusiasm is building and as each new innovative business opens, the passion and love for Dennis Port is returning,” said Donna Silva of Aunties’ Ice Cream Parlor. “Our one year anniversary is fast approaching and we feel privileged to be part of this revitalization process”.
For more information on the event, visit http://dennisportrevitalization.org/ or stop by any of the downtown retailers for a flyer.